engine swap - somthing to ponder on

Hello all

one of my crazy idea's (again)

Most engine swaps - scooby - etc seem to use the bug tranny and an adapter plate of some kind.

I was thinking, could you not take the front end - engine, tranny, shafts, wheel/strut set up - out of a front wheel drive car, and graft it into the back of a bug ? just lock off the steering.

There is lots of room between the back seat and deck lid !

Then you could buy a rear end damaged little sporty 2 door quite cheap.

Discuss ....

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Sure. It's a straightforward mid-engine setup. You would lose a good portion of your rear seat, however.

Reply to
ah2

hummm, you dont think it could squeeze in behind the back seat ? I will have to have a look at one of my bugs.

How about in the front ! ??? The super already has struts.

hummmm, needs more thinking ! frame head in the way ? petrol tank moved to back ....

Reply to
tricky

I'd be more interested in using the entire drivetrain and engine out of a Subaru Impreza STi. Modern, powerful 4WD. I'd even sacrifice the engine location and let it sit in the front.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

My reason for thinking was initially more about milage. We just bought a used Ford Fiesta Diesel to use on longer journeys and we get 70+MPG

That would be nice in a bug / bus.

Your scooby setup sounds good too, but they hold there price on spares.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

That would be cool - I like subies. Can't kill the engines. (well, my daughter just did - but I am getting it back on the road soon :)

Where would the radiator go on a bug without making it look totally different? Maybe a large scoop under the car (under the torsion bars), forcing the air by the radiator?

Reply to
Remco

A tacky, tasteless porsche style whale tail with a radiator in it? Might have to go all German Look and fit the radiator in the front, under the front bumper. Where you'd traditionally fit an oilcooler in a bug.

But then you still need a place for the intercooler. Hmm. Tough. MIght have to get creative. Behind the backseat, and ductwork with fans sucking air in through the 1/4 panels?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Good idea - remove the old firewall and put in a new one so that area behind the seat fits the intercooler. Maybe with some vanes or scoops air can be redirected from under the car into that area. It probably needs some sort of slits along the side so that the hot air can escape or maybe direct it towards those slits above the decklid. Would an EJ22 or 25 engine fit? Working from memory here, but the alternator and air intakes are a little high up, no? Maybe the alternator needs to be moved down, just under the engine?

So when are you starting? And do you need help :)

Reply to
Remco

Crazy news server !!!!

I see Remco reply to Jan, but I dont see Jan's post yet !

Rich - waiting ...

Reply to
tricky

Can you drive that crazy idea on the road?

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Can you drive that crazy idea on the road?

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

"tricky" wrote in news:dr8aas$k61$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Tony de Haas here in South Africa did it to a Puma.

Retro

Reply to
Retro

I've seen this done several times.

1 had a mid-engine 350 chev but I can't remember what transaxle was used. It was 1 of my favorite all time bugs.

The other had a mid-engine 455 and it used an old toronado transaxle.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

That poor defensless Puma....barbarian. =-(

Reply to
Gary Tateosian