Engine swap woes.

Been trying to swap out the engine on my '73 super for quite a while ago. Despite every imaginable problem getting my engine and other replacement parts, I'm ready to go. Now the car is in my garage with the back end three feet in the air. I've disconnected every thing I can think of. I'm using the bible by saint Muir, "How to rebuild your aircooled VW engine", and I have the haynes book, too.

I've disconneccted: Lower 17mm Bellhousing nuts Upper 17mm bellhousing nuts Throttle cable Heater control cables All electrical wires leading to the coil and carb

What else could possibly be holding this engine in place? I'm very close to drinking beer and walking to work on monday.

Thanks guys, Eric Gadoury

Reply to
EGad987

...............Have somebody rapidly pump the clutch pedal while you're pulling on it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Fuel line? I've forgotten that one before.

Reply to
John Kuthe

Remove the starter...

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Put a piece of ply-wood on your jack pad. Center the pad on the oil drain, or slightly forward. With the jack, have your friend move the engine up and down slightly, while you grab the pea-shooters and shake left to right, pulling. Caution you don't pull the car off the stands. Don't even think of getting under there.

I know it looks real hick like, but I support the car with 4x4 blocks on un-split oak firewood rounds. I've dropped cars from jack stands and don't trust them. You have to push a car pretty hard to push it off a wooden block. I've not managed that one yet.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Thanks all, beer's arrived and so I'm done working on the car. I double checked the fuel line and tried pumping the clutch. I've taken the top bolt from the starter already. Will probably try removing it altogether tomorrow. Just doesn't seem to want to give. I've done some pretty hard yanking on the thing with no luck, seems to be siezed at the bottom. Starting to think the PO decided to "modify" something. Will look for a lag bolt connecting the front bumper to the case.

Thanks again all. Eric Gadoury

Reply to
EGad987

say what???? Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Make sure you aren't lifting the engine with the jack. Personal opinion is that the jack under the engine should be just barely touching. Otherwise, you may be causing the binding.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Is your tin binding??? I've had some seals so tight that they don't give any room...

I always find that rotating the engine up and down is the first step.

For jack jack stands, concrete blocks under the torsion bars are close to good.

Binding on the jack is an issue. I've found the $12 red ones are many times too short.

Bajas and buggies are much more fun for a pull.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Finally got out the engine. To avoid embarassment, I won't say what I did wrong. But I'm sure it's a typical newbie mistake. Now to shoehorn the new

2275cc engine in. *Drools*

Thanks again, guys. Eric Gadoury

Reply to
EGad987

................Oh come on! Tell us.

.......OK, I'll break the ice: Several years ago, I had my wife's altima jacked up with the rear wheels removed for new brake pads. After getting them installed, I was worried that they were too tight so I decided to spin the rotors some in a way that would only be understandable if you were caught in a time warp from the 60's like me. Of course, having a few rear wheel drive ACVW's sitting nearby didn't help me remember what the hell I was working on either. So........I started the engine, put it in gear and proceeded to drive it right off of those jack stands and almost into the front end of my vanagon. The first thing that I did was jump out of that altima and look around to see whether my wife or any of the neighbors had seen what I'd just done. Nobody saw a thing.........whew!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"EGad987" wrote

Seriously, what Tim said, tell us. Everybody has to start somewhere and everybody makes newbie mistakes. I'm still very much a newbie at wrenching on these beasts and am the king of stupid mistakes. Let the group know what the problem was so that others might learn from it. Surely it can't be as silly as what Tim did. :o)

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Jesus... First I'm communicating on USENET with neighbors, now cow-orkers ;)

I say, lift the engine, you need to take the weight off the transmission shaft. Lift until you see the wheels start to drop. That's when the engine weight is being lifted. Hell, lift until the car starts to rise a bit. Then drop the engine a bit, then up and down until you find the sweet spot.

Mike Kelly... Yes, that one.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I'll bet you took the bolts out of the transmission mounts thinking it was the lower engine bolts....didn't you? LOL

Reply to
DougnKaren

"DougnKaren" wrote

lol ... I didn't but I probably would have done that if I hadn't first read here in Ramva about someone else doing it.

Ok, here's one of my newbie moves. I was bleeding the rear brakes on my '72 Super which, of course, has dual circuit brakes. You can probably see where this is leading. I was kind of in a hurry because a thunderstorm was approaching ... that's my excuse anyway. :) I was keeping a careful watch on the reservoir to make sure I didn't let it run dry. Curiously, it didn't seem to be dropping much. Then, one time as I depressed the pedal .... "Hmmm, what's that sucking sound?" Yep, I had been watching the front section of the reservoir instead of the rear. Doh!

Reply to
Scott H

We have a winner!!! Who'd think that a bolt going into the engine would be in the *front* of the bellhousing. Rethinking that engineering degree I've been thinking about.

Eric Gadoury

Reply to
EGad987

Don't feel *too* bad. Here's my dumb story from long ago:

It was a hot and sticky August afternoon and I was sweating to shove a 1600 DP into a '63. The customer was impatient and the engine wasn't co-operating. In desperation, I was using a length of 2 X 4 to lever the thing in but it still wouldn't go more than half an inch.

Finally, I crawled underneath to see what the heck was going on. When I saw it, I cried and laughed simultaneously:

Screwed onto each lower engine stud were the 17mm nuts which I had very carefully put on so that I wouldn't lose them!!

Speedy Jim (Engineer)

Speedy Jim

..................Ha Ha..............I'm still way dumber than any of you guys.

neener neener neener

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Oh yeah?? Have you read "The Tow Job" in the story section on my web site? Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

....................Whoops..........I forgot about that one.

Reply to
Tim Rogers