Engine trouble...sounds big.

I was ridding today and the engine started to wratlle big time, got worst as I pushed the pedal. I pop the engine lid and the whole engine was jumping all over. If I give it a little gas it looked like it would jump out of the car! | tried to hold the "turbine"(dont know how to call it in english, its the "air box" in front of the motor (front=front of car) where the air gets in and has the oil cooler inside) and has I hold it in place, looked like the wratle calm down a bit. The generator seemed wobly, then I noticed: the "metal strap" that hold the generator to the generator stand was broken, so has the generator attatchs to the "turbine" the whole thing shakin (not sturd).

I replaced the "metal strap" and as much as I tighten it, it still wouldn´t hold the generator in place... All the wratling and shaking seems to came from inside the "air box"... Sound serious... Any toughts?

Sorry about the bad english terms...not my main language.

MM

1970 vw 1300
Reply to
Manuel Macedo

Maybe something (a rat or snake?) got into the engine compartment and got sucked into the fan housing. A broken fan would easily cause a rattle and could break the generator strap probably. I'd take the fan housing off, at least, and check it for problems before running the engine again.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Reach your hand around to the front of the air box/fan housing and into the air inlet hole for the fan. Feel about for some object/debris inside the fan blades. This could cause rattle/unbalance.

It is also possible that the fan is loose on the generator shaft.

on 10 - Housing- Fan, Fan #5 is the fan.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

safety reminder chapter 98 section 9 paragraph 4 line 8: only reach your hand into the fan opening when the engine is in the OFF position and all motion has ceased.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

BwaaHaaaHaaa!

Reply to
Speedy Jim

never hurts to remind folks to keep their digits attached!!...LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani