Essential tools for an engine rebuild...

Hello guys, I've been away from this group for quite some time for various reasons but I won't bore you with the details. I'm glad I finally found my way back.

I have a couple engines that need rebuilt and my 20yo son has agreed to turn the wrenches. I can't even pick up a wrench. We have the basic hand tools and some engine rebuild tools but I'm wondering what "VW specific" would make the task easier.

How many of the following tools do I really need:

oil pressure relief valve piston puller deck height moasuring tool crankshaft end play measuring tool oil pump puller crank gear puller distributer drive puller crank pulley puller flywheel seal installer tool

We have an oil filler nut removal tool, a clutch alighnment tool and a torquemiester for the flywheel nut /axle nuts from aircooled dot net. Those three tools aren't really necessary but they sure make things easier.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
DaveWV

Welcome back Dave!

Not necessary. If they are stuck, you can use a piece of wood to shove in there and wedge into the piston, then pull it out.

You do need to measure deck in an accurate build. You can fabricate your own too. You need to clamp the cylinder down against the case, then you need a rigid flat piece of metal to lay across the cylinder top, and lastly a digital caliper (or a vernier caliper) for measuring the deck.

While it would be nice to do it with a dial indicator, you could get by with feeler blades and a bolt through one of the engine top mounting holes. I can give you details if needed.

Not really needed. Once the 13mm case bolts have been loosened around the oil pump, it usually comes out pretty easy. I do like the tool though and I have made my own.

In order to save the teeth on those gears, yes, I would get one.

Nah. A regular wooden pencil. Cut the eraser tip off and shape the end to fit inside the spring cavity at the end of the distributor drive tightly. Tap it in, twist and pull the drive shaft out. It sticks to the pencil.

Nice.

Not really necessary if you know how to install seals. You can tap a new one in with a hammer if you lay the old one over the new one to distribute the hammer blows more evenly. The old one may get dented but the new seal won't.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks Jan, I should've known you'd be the first to reply if anyone did. I appreciate it!

Last year, we ran across a railbuggy with a locked up 2276 with 044 heads and a 3 rib transmission. I was hoping it was something simple like a stuck valve. No such luck. When we tore it down, one rod was broke . Something knocked the side out of one lifter bore. I don't think the case can be repaired. We want to salvage everything possible and build another engine to put in a 69 standard bug for the street or mild off road but street legal.

How difficult is it to fit that 3 rib in a standard bug?

Thanks again, Me

Reply to
DaveWV

I also did my first rebuild with the Idiot Book. In the front room of my brothers apartment in Dallas in Feb. 1987, age 23. Used carpenters hammer on wood to knock cyls loose, all-thread and feeler gauge end play setter, hose clamp ring compressor, heated the crank gears on the stove to get them on. Never heard about deck height so put in the spacers that came with the heads and hoped that was right. Had Knights on Kingsley align bore the case and take the gears off the crank. Had to use a type 3 oil cooler cause thats all they had, had to plug the hole in the back (front) of it. I remember the guy said I could do it as good as anybody else, just "take your time". Had to buy a 36mm socket and a torque wrench, which I still have and use (craftsman). engine ran great for a long time for me and still may be running in my dreams... Thanks for listening...

Reply to
Cletus

Jim Ed, Cletus, thanks for the comments.

I rebuilt my first and only VW engine in Mom's basement when I was 17. It was nothing to brag about but it ran!