European Golf help needed (jan?)

I need some help with my watercooled car... I cant get any help from the watercooled group because they all assume I have a us spec engine, and my car has a european spec one.

Ok... if you can help, this are the problems: engine is a 2.0 Digifant engine manufactured in 1996. It has 80.000 miles (138.000kmts) new plug wires ane fairly new plugs and a K&N air filter.

Engine has about 80% of the power it should, and has a low RPM throttle lag. It gets really anoying when shifting. Its like the first

1/4 of the throttle is dead. The butterfly moves, but the ECU insists in lowering the RPMs as far down as it can... I press the pedal, RPMS goes up to 2000, ECU gets them down to 1200... over 2500 rpm, everything is normal except for the lack of power....

I changed the temp sensor last month and power improved a bit, but the lag remains...

Any ideas?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Have you checked the timing? Remote possibility but I wonder if oil got sucked in off of that K&N and fouled up the air flow meter and is contributing to the problem.

Reply to
K5

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:45:37 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

i don't have a huge amount of later model experience, but i suggest you check the throttle position sensor....sounds just like what a vehicle i had was doing....it was the throttle position sensor.. JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Pop over to the STF and look up Ray Greenwood in one of the forums, he is THE injection man, helpfull and friendly too.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

stf?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

no airflow meter in this engine.... its a speed density ecu, RPM and MAP sensor plus temperature and Ox...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

its my first guess also. problem is, I dont have a decent service manual for the car. In chile they are considered trade secret for the dealers and they just laugh at you if you try to buy one...

and my normal source (amazon et all) have no manual for nonUsspec cars...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:20:37 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

Hmmm...well Ed...maybe speedy jim will pipe up with a cool procedure on how to test the throttle position sensor with a multi-meter....i would *assume*(yeah i know) that it is a variable type output thingamajigy... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

That I know.... Its a 3 wire variable resistor. from the megasquirt site (very cool proyect) i now how to test it, but have no idea what the end point values should be, or how to make the ECU relearn the values for idle and WOT if I tamper with it :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Don't know much about Golf stuff or VW jet engines, but I've heard=20 a lot problems with VW Passat engines losing power when air flow/air mass meter goes bad. Here that meter really costs a lot as a spare,=20 but there was some Mercedes part that fits there and is completely the same part. But as I said, this is just guessing from hear say.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:32:10 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...you have me stumped now...i don't know either...if it is megasquirt you might try emailing Bob Hoover...this is probably my last suggestion as i am in over my head already...hehe. JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Airflow meter is a common problem with later model VW's, and the symptoms sound a littel like that, but not exactly. Maybe a timing problem? Timing way off, knock sensor senses pinging and reduces power by retarding ignition timing?

Disconnect knock sensor wire for a short while to see if it changes anything. Do not rev or load the engine too much, it sounds like only a very short and easy test drive would be enough.

Check ignition timing. Find out iof there's a way to check ECU error codes by yourself.

I don't know these engines, and don't want to either. LOL These instructions apply to any FI engines of the era.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I can probebly mail you one. let me know if you want it. I haven't checked prices yet. Not sure if I can find one in english, but I have a very good source for repair manuals.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

jejj... its not a megasquirt... I wish it was, though... I could diagnose it easily... its a wierd form of digifant that, strangely enough, is the same ECU mexibeetles from the late nineties have...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

If you can check please do. I can get more info on my ECU numbers and engine codes to see if the manual covers my engine... :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

This engine has no MAF, only inputs are temp sensors, knock sensor, TPS and MAP (pressure sensor). Its deja vu all over again reading the megasquirt web site. It really looks like they are duplicating this ECU.

Checking timing in this engine is supposed to be done with a VAG1551 (expensive way to make you go to the dealer) and dealer says timing is dead on. I did check codes and a knock sensor code was stored. Disconecting the knock sensor makes the engine very underpowered (maybe it goes into some limp home mode or just does not advance timing at all)

I've had this problem for nearly 2 years!

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:21:57 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

sorry...after re-reading your post i see that you said you learned how to *test* it from the megasquirt page...sorry...i thought you had assembled a megasquirt system....

JT(who is confused easily...lol)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:51:28 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

if you do please keep us posted...seems the megasquirt followers here are pretty secretive when it comes to "outsiders"...LOL JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

as soon as I finish paying my current set of bills (new house a year ago, still paying the downpayment) I will buy a kit and try one. It looks like a techies dream...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski