Exhaust problem

1976 Beetle. 1776cc with merged 4 into 1 headers . Problem: Keep roasting rubber engine seal that rides between the rear engine tin and the body. Anyone know of a practical way that a heat shield could be installed between the header pipe and the rubber seal to block or reflect header pipe heat? Thought about using the same material that car manufacturers use between the catalytic converter and the bottom of the floor pans. Thanks in advance.

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

Wild Bill Tucker

I have seen exhaust wrap for sale in auto stores. It looks a bit like a bandage made from a woven heatproof maerial.

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Thermo-tec.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Traps moist and rust out our system before you can say "Bob's your uncle".. Use a stainless steel plate for heat shield.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Reply to
fullopiss

I wondered about the water when I was thinking of using it. I guessed it would dry itself from the hot exhaust. It would only get wet when you drive, so it would dry a short time after stoping.

That was my thinking at the time, but I never got round to trying it out.

Rich

Reply to
Tricky