Exhaust stud problem

Group, I was changing the muffler on my 74 beetle and the head stripped or oversized where the exhaust stud nut is captured. What is the recommended fix for this? Do I... (A) tap out a piece of steel (nut) that fits the new larger orifice? (B) take the head to a shop and let them weld in a bit more aluminum? (C) replace the head because the stresses applied during the procedure may have cracked the head?

I know this must be a common problem because it happened the first time I've changed the muffler. What are your recommendations? Thanks, Charles

Reply to
Ervin Charles

Tap the hole and insert a threaded insert. Or grind down a nut (as needed) to fit on the other side of the hole and either use a bolt or another stud. Put the bolt/stud through the muffler and through the head and then into the modified nut. Hope this makes sense!

dave

The threaded insert Dave suggested is called a "helicoil". You can also find larger studs that are reduced on the exaust flange end (back down to original size) that you can tap out the head to install. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Get a Helicoil kit --- it has drill, tap and tool to insert new steel threads where you stripped it out.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I suffered through this same problem with my 74 super. Bottom line, whatever you do to fix it(I just bought a new head), make sure you use a generous dollup of anti-seize on the threads when you put the exhaust fasteners back on. That will prevent a repeat performance of what you're experiencing right now.

Chris

Reply to
Hal