experimental body work idea - arc welder/dent removals

wondering if anybody's ever tried this:

I have an arc welder, and some small body dings I'd like to pull. there exists some new type of dent puller, used in bigger body shops, that apparently spot-welds a 'stud' of some sort to the sheet metal, which stud is then used to pull smallish dents, then the stud is ground off, allowing a 'dent pull' withOUT leaving a hole behind. sounds great, but I don't want to buy one.

wondering if I can do the same (sort of) with my arc welder and a BARE piece of wire of 'suitable' diameter...anybody tried that? guess with bare wire, I'd get no arc, but just heat the wire and lowest dent spot red, then 'release' the spring clamp rod holder...then tug the wire with a vice grips, or 'dent knocker puller'/I could shape the wire as a ring, to grasp it better...

my welder's just a 225 amp miller 'barebones buzzbox' AC only....

just an idea - anybody tried it?

Reply to
bill yohler

I've done it, it works, more or less.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I've done the same thing with my MIG welder using coat hanger wire to pull dents...... works pretty good!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Pretty good deal.

Reply to
jjs

Those "uni-spot" welders are great. I borrowed one when I did the baja years ago. Just remeber that you need a few of those weled on tabs/spikes put into the dent (starts to look like the guy from the "hellraiser" movies) to get it uniformly pulled so doing it welder style might be a little difficult.

Its defeinitly wortha try though, I'm all for saving a buck and the less filler the better!

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro