External Oil Cooler on 1700 cc bus?

Hi,

Anyone out there running an external oil cooler on their bus? I have a 72 stock 1700cc with the dual solexs and was wondering if I should go with an external cooler. I have a CHT guage and it usually hovers around 350 at 55 mph on the hwy with synthetic oil. I plan on using the bus for a couple of long trips this upcoming summer and figured I could use the extra security.

What do you think?

Any advice on the cooler and set-up? How about a link or two for the DIY set-up?

Also what about the VDO oil temp guage?

Yours,

Craig

Reply to
Craig Cluney

ilambert

Hi, to play it safe you can purchase a sandwich plate adaptor that goes between the oil filter and case. Real simple, just unscrew the filter, put it on and screw the filter back. The adaptor has an inlet and outlet for the oil lines to the cooler. Be sure to get one with a thermo valve. This way it only opens to send oil to the external cooler after the temp reaches 170f. Joe

Reply to
NEXTGENUSA

Sounds cool. Do you have any links / pictures pictures of that type of hook up? Can I pick it up at CIP1? Also what do you know about drilling the taco plate for an oil temp sender?

Reply to
Craig Cluney