FACTORY REBUILT CASE PHOTO NEEDED

Gang, I am in need of photos, of any factory rebuilt cases, that have been milled at the identification number area. What I looking for is a close up photo, showing how the factory (read VW), did in fact, mill off the original numbers, and replace them with new ones. They also often used a recycle logo, which is an arrow in a circle around the VW emblem.

This is to help out a reader of HVWs who is having serious problems with the California Highway Patrol. It seems that these fine gents are not buying the fact that VW milled off the numbers during the rebuilding process. They feel, that this guy is in possession of a stolen case that has been modified to cover up its true identity. They want to impound his highly modified Baja Bug, due to this case.

If you have one of these cases either in your car, or lying around, and have a camera, would you take a few minutes a snap a photo. You can then e-mail it to me at my office. Thanks, you are helping out one of us. Dean Kirsten/Hot VWs

My E-Mail address is: snipped-for-privacy@hotvws.com

Reply to
dean kirsten

Here ya go. Engine cases are from Finland.

That's two pages, link to the next page at the bottom.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

No problem Dean. Glad I could help!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan, that is exactly what I was hoping for. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I'm sure the owner of this Baja Bug really appreciate it. Regards, Dean Kirsten

Reply to
dean kirsten

Oh yea, here are a few more pics of VW engine case... from new year's eve :

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I can't read ANY numbers on that case. ;)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Not a photo of a case, but maybe, along with Jan's photos, it will help the cause. Here are a couple scans from the VW Exchange Service Catalog explaining the markings on the case. The 1st is the original page that came in the manual, the second is one of the supplements:

Good luck,

Neil

Reply to
Neil