Fiberglass Dash

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the undercoating question. Here's another one :

I'm thinking about putting a fiberglass dash into my beetle. I found one at

for $159 which includes the console.

Anyone familiar with this company ? Are these dashes very difficult to put in? Will a paint job hold up on the fiberglass?

Thanks again, Susan

74 Std "Betty" Florida
Reply to
Susan S.

Hi Susan, I have a '72 with a 'glass dash; don't remember who made it (I think I may have gotten it at Claude's Buggies). When painting fiberglass, always de-wax the part three times, sand it well & I use epoxy primer (Ditzler/PPG) before putting on the base-coat clear-coat. If you do that it will hold up just fine. Don't expect the dash to just bolt-in. You'll have to do some trimming & fitting I'm sure. Also, the 'glass that you cut or grind on will make you itch. :-) BTW, I hope their parts are better than their website; I'm STILL wainting for their "Bug" page to download while writing this entire note... OK... that dash looks cool. Mine is just a "smoothie" dash but I like the way it looks. BTW pics of my blue bug are on my homepages at

- on the "About Me" page.~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver

Thanks Paul !! I'm hoping to get the final prep work done this next two weeks so I can get her painted by the following weekend. At this rate, I'm not sure how accurate a time line that is. The more I look at the hood, the more I'm thinking I need/want a new one...and while I'm at it might as well get that apron fixed...and oh yes...there's the *&@!!! My list just keeps getting bigger and bigger !! Ah the joy of owning a VW !! I really have til October to finish. That's when our area car show is and I would like to "unveil" her there. But as I look out at the pile of metal I call my car....it will be touch and go to make it by then.

Reply to
Susan S.

...take your time and ignore deadlines....even the show if it comes to that. If you leave one *minor* item undone because its not a big deal...and you can live with it.....well it *will* bother yo every time you look at it for as long as you own the car. As for the dash...Glass action....formerly known as innovationss in fiberglass has very loose quality standards....you *will* have to spend time making the part fit. I have never used one of their dashes...but this is my experience with their otherproducts...if you ar going fiberglass qanyways....consider using it for the hood you need. Creative Car Craft in florida hand lays the fiberglass on their parts resulting in a far stronger and more consistant product than anything glass action offers. Fit is also excelllent. I would definately reccommend their panels for hoods and fenders over anything currently available in either metal or fiberglass for fit and quality.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian