Fixing an ignition switch

Hey, does anyone know if it is possible to repair a broken ignition switch? Mine is original to the car ('63 Bug) and I would like to keep it, but the starter portion does not work. When you turn the key to the starter position there is no "spring." The PO simply wired a seperate starter button.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Not sure if this will solve the problem, but it might help:

When my ignition switch was really getting stuck/hard to turn, I was considering ordering a new one to replace it. But feeling bad since I would be taking an original part of the car away, I decided to take it to a trusted locksmith in my town as a last ditch measure. I always figured that he only worked on locks installed in buildings or safes but surprisingly, he accepted the job. What he managed to do was take the lock apart and did some locksmith's magic on it. Now that switch is as good as new.

I figure a good locksmith would be in a much better position to decide whether your switch is beyond help, so try that route first.

-GE

Reply to
geoffers

yes, it's possible. exact specifics on yours best left to others, but MY

71 ghia ignit switch was assembled incorrectly, and had a loose pin inside. removed lock from column, dismantled the 'assembly' (@which time the loose pin 'fell out onto kitchen floor'), examined lock closely, drank more beer and argued more, placed pin in the -correct- place, reassembled the dealie, and now my steering lock function DOES work. @ same time, also had my "VW locks heavily experienced" buddy make my passenger door lock now work by slightly filing the key, and also filing one on the lock tumbler 'pins'. suggestion: (locate and) price a new lock, (locate and) price an old lock, price your local 'locksmith by the hour', then, possibly, try fixing your OWN...

alternately, bring your lock to a VW show, where chances are VERY good someone there selling used parts will be -very- experienced fixing VW locks, and might do it on yours for free while you just stand there and chat...locks contain -tiny- sometimes loose parts - you might want to dismantle it over (on top of) an old bed sheet, or some similar 'large field of clean', so those tiny parts don't fall into the lawn... :-)

HTH,

dave

Reply to
dave