Floor Pan Repair

Recently I was unable to obtain a floor pan right rear quarter--the good heavy kind with the flange for the blots at the heater channel--and because I need to get this project completed, have resorted to one of the smaller Brazilian pans, where they are put down over the edges of the old pan. In other words, the old pan quarter is cut out and the new one welded in at the edges.

I would appreciate any advice regarding:

  1. What to use to make the cuts--I have an abundance of cold chisels, etc., but no air chisel.
  2. Whether to gas weld or wire-feed (gasless) weld the edges, and whether to use a long continuous bead of weld, or spot weld. (I'm concerned about moisture getting past this joint and starting up the rust again.)

Thanks for all input!

Reply to
Randall Brink

My weapon of choice is an angle grinder an a cutting disc. :-)

Lots of options from dremel to air grinder cutoff tool sawzall etc etc

I would use a MIG welder (wire fed and CO2 or Argon mix) and a stitch weld (weld an inch - miss an inch ...)

Then use a brushable seam sealer on both sides of the repair, pushing the sealer into any overlaps gaps etc.

Good luck !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I have a set of rear quarter pans that I got from aircooled.net a few years back that John said were pretty good. They where for a 75 not sure if they would work for you tho. Never used them, bought a whole new chassis instead that was in better shape. If you want them email me and we will work something out. I think they are what your looking for.

Thanks, Bill

Recently I was unable to obtain a floor pan right rear quarter--the good

Reply to
Bill Baker