floorpans and engine justveedub?

HI all. Im looking to replace my engine and floorpans in my 74 thing. My welder wants to know if the floorpans get welded from the top or bottom, I.e. are we going to want a lift? Do I understand correctly that Giha pans are what fit the thing? As for the engine I have looked around and found JustVeeDubs seling one with a 5 year warentee. Just wondering if anyone has used them before and what they thought of them. As of now they are slow to get back to me. This is day three after my request, and I still havent heard from them.

Thanks in advance for your imput.

-Kirk

Reply to
Krik

I emailed them once and actually never got a reply. I would just rebuild it, lots of fun ;-)

Reply to
js

Kirk, I believe the Ghia pans are the same for the thing. Be sure to keep you seat rails and seat belts though. My ghia pans did not come with rails. You want to weld these in from the top for support. otherwise a hard stop could pop the spot weld. Tell the welder not to do a long seam, but spot welds. The heat could warp or crack the metal if you do a seam. Hope this helps!

Ben Wats> HI all.

Reply to
volkswatson

Reply to
volkswatson

When I install floor pans I use a metal punch to put holes every 1 1/2" along the edge, or you can just drill the holes. then grind the inner lip so you get a good weld. make sure to seam seal both top and bottom to prevent rust.

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

I welded my floor pans in from the top side. I used a stitch method to do it, meaning run the bead about and inch then skip a couple inches and do it again. Then start back at the begining again filling the gap and inch at a time till completely welded. It has held up for many years now. I would think that the Thing will be similar to the bug pan and it will bolt to the outside edges under the heater channel. No welding required out there, but you should know that already.

Reply to
TerryB