flywheel ring gear

Is the inside diameter of a 1200cc 6 volt ring gear the same as the

1600cc dual port 12 volt ring gear?
Reply to
joe

Hi Joe,

I presume this question comes from 6 to 12v conversion? If so I believe this page should shed some light.

Ant> Is the inside diameter of a 1200cc 6 volt ring gear the same as the

Reply to
anton

Hi anton, What page are you talking about?

Joe

ant> Hi Joe,

Reply to
joe

Hi anton, What page are you talking about?

Joe

ant> Hi Joe,

Reply to
joe

I have a 1600cc dual port engine with a 1200cc flywheel in it right now with a 6 volt starter. I want to put the correct flywheel but it is almost impossible to put the 12 volt starter in since it is in a Aktiv Snotrac ST4. The 12 volt starter solenoid would hit the steering mechanism. I am hoping that I can take the 1200cc ring gear and install it in the 1600cc flywheel. I know how the heat the ring gear and put it on the flywheel.

Joe

Reply to
joe

I don't know what page he's talking about but air cooled VW's don't have a ring gear. The gear teeth are machined into the flywheel. Six volt transaxles don't have enough clearance for a 12v flywheel and you will have to carefully grind out the case. Be careful because the case is magnesium and can catch fire if you don't go at it slow.

Airrcooled.net sells the parts you will need for the conversion and may have some tech articles that will help.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

There is a 12v starter kit (or at least there used to be one) available that fits the 6 volt case and flywheel... My 1966 Baja had one when I got it many years ago. The starter is still in my garage somewhere but I don't know if I could pick it out of the line up of other spare starters I have laying around. As I recall it is a 12 volt starter with a smaller gear and it also required a special bushing.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Both the 1600cc and the 1200cc that I have, have a ring gear pressed onto the flywheel.

Reply to
joe

I will check into the starter kit.

Joe

Reply to
joe

If so, it's still not replaceable. If you install the 1600 engine you will have to either have to open up the case for the larger flywheel or have the 6v flywheel machined to bolt up to the 1600 engine. I've seen it done both ways.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Sorry Joe this is the page I was meaning to paste into the message. I swear I do this kind of crap like not attaching files or including links atleast ones a week. My appologies.

Tony you mean grind out the bell housing not the case, right?

Anyway Jim's page is pretty comprehencive, it does describe the changes from 6 to 12v on the flywheel and what you have to do to make it all fit. btw I've checked aircooled for 12v conversion articles and I could not find any....

Ant> joe wrote:

Reply to
anton

So what you're saying is that you're getting old? ;o)

The bell housing is part of the transaxle case so I see them as one in the same... Six of one half a dozen of the other...

You can't beat the info from Speedy Jim... He's been there and done that way more than most of us.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Oh, shoot! I didn't realize that it's snotrak. Didn't somebody say something about one not a while ago about it?

Anyway I couldn't tell from the diagrams what starter they are using wether it's a vw or something else. If it vw, you can still put a 12v with a sleeve.

What exactly are you trying to do convert it to 12v? or just swap out the flywheel? if you are not converting to 12v 1200cc flywheel on

1600cc motor is fine.

Ant> I have a 1600cc dual port engine with a 1200cc flywheel in it right now

Reply to
anton

Reply to
anton

The problem is putting the 1600cc flywheel on will cause a problem because the 6 volt starter mounts in a different place and would interfere with the steering mechanism. I wanted to keep the 1200cc flywheel on and just change the ring gear so I can keep the starter in the same place.

Reply to
joe

hmmm Just curious but what kind of air cooled VW is this? How would the starter possibly interfere with the steering? Is this some kind of kit car?

I want pictures!!!!!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Sounds like a snowtrac thing i once saw,...

Reply to
Juper Wort

It is a Snotrac ST4 How do I post a picture?

Reply to
joe

The 12 volt starter that came in my 1966 Bug (6 to 12 volt conversion) was the same size and shape as the later 12v unit that I replaced it with when I installed the later engine and gearbox. If you're going to post pix, first put them up on the web some where and then put links to them in your newsgroup posts. Second, be sure and get pictures of the starters in question as well as where close ups of the case where the starter goes. It doesn't make sense to most of us why you're having problems with the 12v starter fitting with out hitting other parts.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

checkout "Downloads and articels" link here is a 7.5 mb doc with all diagrams. yes it is quite different :-)

Ant> joe wrote:

Reply to
anton