fresh air/heat question 74 std beetle

Volks,

Here is a question for you. I have great heat in my beetle no complaints. When the heat lever is up, no air what soever comes out of the dash vents when the other lever is on heat (not defrost) when i turn the heat off, cool air comes out of the front dash vents........why is this? I know the vent box is closed...............and the vent air does go off when the heat exchangers are opened. Is this the way it is supposed to be? It is hard to get a happy medium in the car with that vent air! Either roast or freeze...........

Reply to
Vanagon Man