Fried the alternator

After changing the manifold (heat riser problems), heat exchangers, muffler, thermostat with cooling flaps, I was excited today to get my 66 fired up. While I was at it, I adjusted the valves and gave her a tune-up. She fired up and sounded as sweet as I can remember. Except for one problem. The red light was on. She eventually died because the electric fuel pump circuit kicked in to shut off the fuel supply. It turns out, I stupidly hooked up the carburetor choke wire from the coil + terminal to the B+ terminal. When I unplugged it and put it where it was supposed to go, it was still a no go. I'm guessing I fried the regulator. The voltage is constantly at 12 on D+ and the B+ is at .5V. This really sucks!

Has anybody taken apart these alternators and replaced the regulator? Mine is a Motorola.

Thanks, John

Reply to
JS

Nah. That doesn't make any sense. B+ is the big fat terminal. It goes direct to battery. Hooking the choke wire to B+ shouldn't harm anything.

The second clue is that B+ should not read .5V; it should read battery voltage (12V).

Did you confuse the terminal markings or is something else going on?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yeah, sorry...The D+ voltage is constantly at .5V and the B+ is constantly at 12V even while the engine is running. I hooked up the choke wire from the + side of the coil to the D+ terminal.

John

Reply to
JS

In that case, the regulator *could* be fried. Shouldn't have hurt anything else in there though. Call around and find a new reg. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

With a Motorola alternator that will be difficult.

-

Jim Adney