from rec.autos.misc

The following message was gleaned from rec.autos.misc

I guess that's why they call it "misc"

Subject: Re: Cell ph> Just wondering, many cell phones (and pagers) have a "silent ringer"

which creates vibrations using a very small DC motor with an offset > weight on the motor shaft. Since a brushed DC motor has a commutator > that may create a spark while it rotates, could *that* be the cause of > those (apparently) cell phone related gasoline explosions? Perhaps the > person received a call while the phone was on vibrate mode while > pumping gas....

The only fuel explosion that I know of while using a phone was with a VW bug. Which are reputed to blow up all by themselves anyway. The phone was just a co-incedence.

I think it was more mass media paranoia than anything else. Like cell phones cause brain cancer.

Reply to
67_bus

That's right ... don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Reply to
Jim O'Malley (VW-F-V)

Hello, VW-F-V\:

Your snip makes it look like I wrote something I didn't. Actually, the only part of the message I wrote was above the line that looks like =-=-=-=-=, which you snipped. The comment about the VW bug was part of the message from rec.autos.misc.

Sorry if I misled you. There was probably some other way I could have structured the message to prevent it.

67_bus

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Reply to
67_bus

Sorry to have given the impression of misquoting you. The double-arrows (>

therefore not your thought.

Jim

Reply to
Jim O'Malley (KAMR)

I just didn't want anyone to get the idea that I go around saying that VW bugs explode when, actually, as we all know, they implode.

:-)

Reply to
67_bus

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:08:06 GMT, 67_bus , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Thanks for clearing that up for us! :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

I've had the bug for a little over 2 months now. I have been able to get numerous parts to implode but not the whole car at once. Shaggie, from the posts I've read it sounds like you may have had a few bugs implode while you were in them, can you offer me any sagely advice??

I just want to have the entire ACVW experience. Thanks. ; )

Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug

On 12 Jul 2003 09:44:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (1974 Std Sunbug), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Here's some stuff I've come to believe over the years. Take it for what it's worth... :-)

  • If you don't take the last cookie from the jar then someone else will.
  • There is no reasoning with some people.
  • Attitude can affect blood pressure at least as much as your diet.
  • Making other people feel good really can make you feel good.
  • There really is "one in every crowd." Sometimes two.
  • Soap and water are _not_ that expensive. Use lots of both.
  • Make new memories every day instead of trying to relive old ones every day.
  • If the people in your life like to be around you but the rest of the world thinks you're an idiot, then don't sweat it.
  • Lighten up. Why *not* lighten up?

Obligatory VW advice:

  • VW Bugs float, but not for long. Especially if you've drilled holes in the pan.

I hope that helps! :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

If you want that portion of the ACVW experience, just take care to never replace your fuel lines. The "exploding bug" comment must reference the flaming bug phenomena. Many people have found that when one allows one's fuel line to crack with age, they drip fuel over hot engine parts. The fuel then combusts in the engine compartment, causing the rest of the fuel in the engine compartment to combust. This causes various problems with the operation of the vehicle.

Reply to
mez

Very sagely advice, I thank you. Just for clarification.... do the holes have to be drilled or can they just be from rust through?

Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug