Front Axle beam questions

I've done a little searching on the forum trying to find a procedure for removal and installation of the front axle beam on a 76' type 1. I have found a spindle to spindle axle beam and will be replacing soon. I saw in a post that i have to cut the bumper struts? If i do this can I just replace with t-bar bumpers? I'm going to crawl under the thing this afternoon. I need to replace this stuff soon as it's my only car and I have to drive it to work with no shocks. (only a couple of miles on backroads not going over 35 mph)

thanks.

Reply to
tinsco

Yes, the safety braces ahead of the beam must be cut off.

You'll have to be creative to make mounting brackets for the T-bar since the bolt holes for the newer shock absorbing bumpers are different, I think.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Try to replace the beams without cutting any metal first and you may get lucky. ;-) What Speedy Jim and others are talking about is VW added some metal was added to the 1975-1977 Beetles between the spare tire well and the front axle beams. I believe it stops the crushing of the spare tire well in the event the front bumper takes a hit. Like Speedy Jim said..............safety braces and you will probably not miss them if you do cut them off. ;-)

IIRC I have done a 1975 Type 1 without any cutting. I had to force the beams in and out though and maybe the body was a little more flexible due to rust (Chicago Beetle). lol I usually leave the steering box attached to the steering column/shaft along with the tie rods attached to the spindles. So I usually only remove and install the beams together with the ball joints. Other times I install a new bare front axle (beams only) and assemble it on the car.

Your complete beam will be much heavier and harder to work with. ;-) Have Fun!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1