front disc brake problem

I recently bought a 74 std beetle. It had some brake problems, so I replaced the master cylinder because it was leaking. Then I just installed a front disc brake kit. I bled the brakes until the fluid ran clear. My problem is that the pedal only depresses about an inch, and on my way into town the pads began to seize on me. I pulled over and they where very hot. What can I do to fix this? I'm not really sure but it seems that the mc is not releasing the pads. I bled them in the parking lot and they released. but the mc still won't allow them to release after I depress the pedal once.

Reply to
nickshobe

When you put the M/C in, did you check for free play at the pedal? Press with your fingertips and you should feel roughly 1/4" of movement before the pushrod contacts the M/C piston. No freeplay will prevent fluid from returning.

If the brake hoses (to calipers) are original, they could be swelled up inside from age (they do that aftr 30 years!).

As long as you got the "universal" M/C P/N 113 611 015BD it should work with discs. (I doubt there's anything else around.)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
george taylor

AFAIK Ghia uses the same replacement M/C, but I missed the article you menti Speedy Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Check your rubber brake lines. When they get old and swell on the inside, they work like a one way valve. Pressure goes through and actuates the brakes, but eventually that pressure gets stuck in there and the brakes stop releasing. If you are unsure of their condition, replace them since damage may not be apparent.

Reply to
Anthony

I just had the same problem this past summer with my car. Trust me, if you have not changed the brake hoses, do it. The interior narrows with age and causes this problem .

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Reply to
Ben Boyle

My first guess was the same as Speedy's. Check your free play.

Since he said he installed a disk brake kit, I assume that came with new hoses, so those should be fine.

Let us know what you find.

-

Jim Adney

standard Master Cylinder.