Front Wheel Bearing Raplacement

i have to replace the front wheel bearing on my bug

1 is it absolutely necessary to replace the races if the cages are worn? 2 how can i remove the race from the hub? my manual isn't very helpful in explaining this.

that's it thank you Dieter

Reply to
Koos

Yes, you must replace the races.

Drive them out from behind with a drift pin (tap opposite sides). The new races really should be carefully pressed in, but in a pinch you can tap them into place using some sort of sleeve (don't hammer directly on the race). One trick is to grind down an old race so its diameter is slim enough to go easily into the bore. Use this old race as a "sleeve". Careful not to get the new race "cocked".

Order new grease seals too.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:18:29 +0200, "Koos" ran around screaming and yelling:

lots of folks don't and don't have any problems...but if the bearing manufacturers didn't think new races were necessary with a *new* bearing you can bet they would be sold separately, instead of as a set...i do recommend replacing both(personal opinion so take it for what its worth)

to drive out the races, you tap them out from the opposite directions...outer race(nearest the wheel side of the hub) comes out toward the "wheelside"...you flip the hub over and insert a screwdriver or punch in from the "backside"(innerbearing area) and there are two notches 180 degrees from one another...alternately tap them both...very easy job to do...to reinstall i recommend using a socket that is about he same size as the rim on the race and tap it back in....the inner race(toward the back of the hub, where the backing plate would be) comes out the back, by the same procedure performed from the outer side....there are also two notches(in the hub itself) at the inner race... when reinstalling, make sure they are completely seated..you will know by the sound and feel of the hits you place on it with your hammer...it will sound solid, and fell solid when fully seated... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:18:29 +0200, "Koos" scribbled this interesting note:

You have some good replies, but as a point of clarification...

Yes. Why do half a job?

Drive it out from the opposite side. Use a brass drift. The reason for using brass is simple...it is softer then the hub so if it strikes it there will be no damage to the hub.

Good luck.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:34:37 -0500, Jim Adney ran around screaming and yelling:

Jim, Jim, Jim, sometimes *too* much information isn't a good thing...(like jan told me when i said "sure you can pull the heads off a bug with the engine in the car"....) Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

;-)

You're right, of course, but I'm annoyed by any post that suggests that it is better to just replace lots of parts than it is to learn something, come to an understanding, and only replace the bad parts.

-

Jim Adney

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:29:41 -0500, Jim Adney ran around screaming and yelling:

you are right Jim....but seeing as how *most* autoparts stores sell the bearings that automatically come with a new race, i guess the real question is "why not change the race?".....for me(take notice everyone i said *ME*) i wouldn't put new wiperblades on a broken windshield...i wouldn't put only one ring on a piston, i wouldn't put brakeshoes on only One wheel...well you get the picture... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani