Fuel gauge precision

Hi RAMVA! Something really annoying has happened to my bug this week. Twice in about 6 days I've run out of fuel while the gauge shows just a tad less than half a tank. It used to be precise. The bug is a '70 german standard, all stock.

Is there a way to calibrate the gauge? what else could be wrong?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The vibrator? how do I test it?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Karls,

There is a little metallic box attached on the back of the speedometer. This box is toasted.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Well, the gauge should read full when the wire to the sending unit is grounded and empty when it's not, right? Does your gauge needle move at all?

I replaced my busted sending unit a couple months ago but my gauge reads

3/4 full when it's full. That means I've got half a tank when I fill up at the 1/4 full mark. I guess I should figure out a way to fix it. Maybe just bend the rod on the sending unit down a bit...
Reply to
Michael Cecil

Speedy Jim has some information about this I think.

Chronologic

Reply to
Chronologic

ta 4 info , wondered about that on my old car, identical fault, sender replaced....but no change.

--

Reply to
Neil

Karls,

I have no idea how to test it. May be Speedy Jim or Jan can help you. My beetle had the same problem about 30 years or more. I was a little boy at the time. I only remember my father making notes on a paper to have an idea of the gas on the tank and he told me that the problem happen when the car was almost new. The part was very expensive. When I got the license to drive I run out of gas a few times, because I didn?t care about the notes. I found a replace on a junk yard and I fix it about 12 years ago. The problem was the same as yours.

"Karls Vladimir Peña" wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu