Fuel Gauge troubleshooting

Can anyone give me some suggestions or hints as to troubleshooting a faulty fuel gauge reading? My '71 SB conv. has a fuel gauge that will not read more than about 1/2 full when the gas tank is filled. I know there's a sending unit but I'm not sure if I have to worry about a fuel gauge vibrator? Since I'm on a tight budge I'd rather not just replace the sending unit unless I was sure that was the problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Steve D. '71 SB conv. '67 Beetle

Reply to
Steve D.

Look on my web site for the Fuel Gauge article.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.......

Shameless Self Promotion. :-)

Reply to
Alan Nelson

And he has so much to gain from it!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sorry, forgot about "Speedy Jim" website. I have it 'bookmarked' too. It's already answered a couple of questions during the first few seconds of perusing the article. I wondered why one Online store offers a float that doesn't look like the one offered by another Online store. At least now I know which one to order if necessary.

Thanks all. Steve D. '71 SB conv. '67 Beetle

Reply to
Steve D.