Fuel leaking out of pump, help please.

I did not start my all stock 71 super bug for about 2 months and when I tried to start it, it would not start. I cranked it over and over for a long time and tried pumping the gas pedal and also not pumping it, still it would not start. I took some canned starting fluid and squirted it into the carb, the engine then started. At that point gas started leaking out of the fuel pump, a lot of gas. I pulled the gas hose off the pump and pluged it, stopping the leak. What have I done and how do I fix it?????????

Reply to
Greg

Exactly where on the pump was it leaking from? Are you sure it wasn't leaking at the hose?

Which hose did you pull off to stop it?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Greg

Well....pumps are inexpensive; just replace it (though it's rare to see one leak). Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

What he said. ;^p Also, check to make sure you don't have gas in the oil (might want to just go ahead & change it). HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Reply to
Greg

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:12:45 GMT, "Greg" ran around screaming and yelling:

if the fuel pump diaphram ruptures it can and sometime does dump gasoline down the rodguide and into the sump... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani