Fuel proof glue?

Float in my carb is leaky. I've tried every glue I have in the house, some last longer than others but eventually the fuel wins.

FLAPS didn't have anything to suggest, googling mostly suggests glues I've already tried. What did the factory seal 'em up with, and where can I get it? ;)

I've found some gasket-making stuff that's fuel resistant, but am worried that it only seals, not bonds. The float really isn't under much stress, anyone think something along those lines will hold well enough?

Reply to
sether

I don't know if glueing that piece is even possible, but regarding fuel proof glue, how about some of the epoxy or cyanoacrelate glues they use in model RC airplanes/boats and such? Some of those glues are fuel proof, very strong, shockproof, etc. You may want to test it on something first before you commit, though..

Remco

Reply to
Remco

What carb do you have ? I'll send you 2 floats if I have them from my stock of old carbs if you pay shipping.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

floats are not worth repairing...buy new...they are cheap...if you can find it get a brass one...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

That's the million dollar question though, isn't it. Where do I get the floats seperately? From someone that isn't a convicted thief, that is.

My carb is a bocar 30-pict-1. Should the innards of the carb be consistent enough among makes that they're one size fits all?

Purely out of curiosity, does a glue exist that is fuel proof? While I'm not arguing that I should just dig up a new float, it seems like a problem that has long since been solved by someone, somewhere. ;)

Reply to
sether

.............If the one that he has that leaks is brass, maybe he could solder it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

some online vendors may have them...not sure...i've got a carburetor shop nearby that usually has anything i ever needed.... they are available to the shops, so someone, somewhere is sure to sell a float separately....

sure there are fuel proof glues...as some suggested epoxies and CA type glues used in modeling are fuelproof....HOWEVER they need a clean uncontaminated(with fuel) surface to bond to initially....this could be the reason all your attempts have failed thus far...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Same goes for plastic. Some plastics can be "soldered" too, if you happen to have a piece of the same type of plastic handy.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It's highly likely, since I've tried both epoxy and CA glues, which airplane hobbysists reccomended to me. ;)

The epoxy failed when I was about 30 miles from home, I scrounged around in the toolbox and found a 5 year old tube of RTV sealant. Most of the tube was dried solid so I poked a hole in the side and got enough out to make a seal. Wrapped a zip-tie around the float to make sure it stayed in one piece and hauled my arse home.

Think I found a place that "may" have a float I can use, need to drive out to 'em though.

thanks for the adivce.

Reply to
sether

If you get the wrong glue, you may need to hunt down some glue-proof fuel.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

lol :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Brass or plastic? If brass, solder it.

-

Jim Adney

That's a good question. Gasoline is a pretty aggressive solvent, but there should be some products out there which will stand up to it. It might be worth looking at some of the LocTite sealing products.

-

Jim Adney

How about gas tank sealing/patching putty...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Probably a good choice, IF it's a plastic float. Then the question becomes one of whether it will actually stick to that plastic. Some plastics are really hard to get ANY adhesive to stick to.

-

Jim Adney

How about JB Weld? I used that on my old carb without any problems due to fuel.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I have used 1:1 fiberglass resin along with cloth to seal leaking gas tanks.

There are some gas tank sealers that might work also. POR-15 makes something, but I have bought some sealers from JCWhitney.

Of course you might be able to purchase a new float or a good used one cheaper! ;-) Remember you don't want to make that float too heavy or it may sink some. lol

later, dave (>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I got an informative email from a trusted ramva expert stating JB weld is indeed fuel proof, so I figure that'd do it in a pinch. The problem is that JB weld is pretty heavy stuff and adding weight to the float probably isn't such a swift idea.

I did eventually find some floats for sale, no tin ones but beggars can't be choosers.

Have the leaky float patched up with some crazy glue, which should last until my order gets here. ;)

Reply to
sether