Fuel Pump?

To make a long story short, I just bought back my old '67 Beetle... I was driving it home from Cali, when about half way between Winemuca and Battle Mountain (in Nevada) - the engine backfired, lost power, and died. It refuses to restart. I suspect the fuel pump, but just in case that doesn't pan out - does any one have any other suggestions on what might be the cause?

Any pointers are greatly appriciated...

Reply to
Tom Shelton

Color me skeptical. Look down the carb throat and open the throttle manually. See if there is fuel squirting from the accel jet. That's not a 100% test; to make certain, take the carb top off (5 screws) and check fuel level. Should be roughly 3/4" below rim.

If, as I suspect, there *is* fuel in the carb, look for an ignition problem. There is a whole article on my web site devoted to this kind of thing. Look for: "Why won't my engine start?"

Don't jump to conclusions; make some tests in a methodical order.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks... I am looking over your sight right now. The car was running so well, up until that momement :)

Reply to
Tom Shelton