Gas in Oil - HELP!

Ok heres the problem:

Im getting gas siphoning somehow in the case... my oil level is moving on the dipstick. I can change the oil and in a few days its moved a lot.

Heres what I have checked.. The fuel tank is properly vented, it wasn't before and I did this and it helped but didn't stop the problem.

I have changed carbs, I went from a stock carb to baby webs, and on both of them it still does the same thing.

I have a electric fuel pump so its not a leaky fuel pump, the other is not on the case any longer.

FWIW, its a 1600 dp with 34icts, and a facet electric fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator. This has been going on for a while and I have no idea why. The motor is pretty fresh with about 3000 miles on it. Thanks in advance as this has me and someone else stumped on how to fix it.

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

but i have been told i am not a good mechanic here lately so......well you know...not surprising i am "stumped" with ya...

------------------- Chris Perdue

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Has the gas entered the sump while driving or while sitting? If sitting, are you parked on an angle with the rear lower than the front? Is there a idle cut-off valve in the carb?

If while driving:

Check the choke, ensure it's opening properly when warm. Driving habits? Short trips won't let the choke open all the way, causing a rich mixture, and the inability of the engine to warm up and burn off any gas traces in the oil. Fuel pressure? is it within specs? Float Valve seating correctly? Compression test? Worn rings will allow the fuel mixture to seep by.

If while sitting: Idle cut off valve not functioning or missing, fuel siphoning through the carb. Float seat? Residual fuel pressure from the pump forcing and siphoning fuel through the carb Fuel pump wired correctly? Is it wired to a constant "hot", rather to an ignition hot source? Parked with the front higher than the rear? Newton's law (Gravity)

Reply to
Alan Nelson

How's your mileage? Your pressure regulator might not really be working properly, and forcing fuel past the float, dumping fuel into the chambers.

The correct pump puts out only 3 to 4 pounds of pressure. Why mess with regulators when you can get the right electric pump?

Reply to
jjs

I have checked the pressure and I have about 3lbs.. and of course its wired to a switched power source.

I can't figure out though if its happening when im driving or when im parked. Dual webers DONT have chokes.

I am parking at slight incline but its not that great. There has to be a way to stop that though if its siphoning because of the uphill factor. Float settings, I have no idea about as these were brand new carbs. Only other thing I can think of now is maybe accel cable is to tight and its not allowing the carbs to shut all the way allowing a little bit to pass on by, dumping the bowls possibly..

It does start on the first crank though..

Keep suggestions coming. Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

Okay, if you say so. Just in case you are checking that with one of those cute little nickle-sized gauges - don't. They lie.

No kidding!

The tight cable seems unlikely. Your idle is set at the carb linkage. You aren't setting your idle with the cable.

Reply to
jjs

Nope not checking with "one of those cute little nickle testers" using a fuel pressure tester. As for the comment about the carbs, it was response to Alans post about chokes.

I was just thinking though if the cable is to tight then maybe the carbs are shutting all the way, meaning the return springs arent allowing it to return all the way. make sense?

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

If all you have for return is the little springs on the carb, then that's a problem in its own right - whether it's contributing to your problem or not. Can't tell from here.

Reply to
jjs

Sounds like your vent in your cap is not veted properly of vent is clogged up. This has happened to me several times mainly with FG Buggies, which use aftermarket caps and tanks. When the weather warms up the tank builds up pressure and it will fill the crankcase, and it does not take much of an incline for it to happen. On a warm day, remove your cap and listen for the release of pressure or leave the cap off for a day and see what happens, (you could stick a rag in the hole temp.) It shouldn't take long to solve. Or you could park with the rear end up hill.

Thanks, Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Dual Weber IDFs have an enrichment mechanism for cold starting. This should be removed and blocked with the so called "choke block off plates". If this modiffication has not been done properly, on not at all, you may be running on a much richer mixture. If everything seems OK, then the carbs may be jetted too rich. If you run on a rich mixure, some of the fuel ends up in the oil. Can you determine if you are running rich?

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

beetle gas tanks are NOT vented through the cap. The cap and filler neck are too close to teh gasoline level in the tank, gasoline WILL slosh into the filler neck, and out teh cap vent hole, all over your fender, if you had a vented cap. Beetle tanks, both early and late models, have special vent lines that run across the trunk area where the tank is, ABOVE the tank somewhere. (So as to not get clogged with gasoline)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Alright heres a followup

The carbs are 34 ICTS the dual one barrels not IDFS..the enrichment mech you are referring to I have no idea if they exist or not, as installed them according to the instructions that came with the carbs.

John though the return springs you say to add, where and what kind should I use to add additional tension on the linkage? Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

I also did vent the gas tank properly not using the stock charcoal filter but made my own vent line that is large enough.

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

hey, John, how do you get on with that linkeage ? Just got one to replace the round cross bar ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

It's a great linkage. I don't know who made it. You might touch base with Jake Raby. He built this beautiful engine.

(Only regret: I shoulda never had the shroud painted yellow.)

Reply to
jjs

Indeed... The one I have is SCAT which i guess is a cheap copy of something better. Needs a little pursuasion i believe to spin properly.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort