gear oil in sandrail trans.

What is the best gear oil I can get for my Volkswagen transmission and which grade? I can get the 80-90 from Autozone or Kragen but I'm not sure if this is alright to use....I'm using the transmission in a dunebuggy so it will get used hard!

Thank you, Rick

Reply to
Burnett

Nor-Cal VW's

What the dickens does "Hypoid" mean, anyway? Similar to but not a Hyp?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Hypoid" is not really a question of oil, so much as a question of gearcutting. Old (1920's) rear axles used straight bevel gears to form the crownwheel and pinion. These had two disadvantage, the pinion shaft meets the crownwheel on its central axis, and the straight cut gears are noisy. By using a more complex "hypoid" gear tooth shape (if you look at a pinion, the teeth appear twisted) these problems can be addressed. The more gradual engagement of the teeth along their length reduces noise. By careful design of the geometry the pinion can be made to mesh _below_ the axis of the crownwheel. As the centre height of the crownwheel is fixed by the wheel height, this allows the propshaft to be lowered relative to the car body, giving a clearer floorpan and lower centre of gravity for better cornering. Hypoid bevels are now universal in this application.

Because of the sliding contact that hypoid gears make, their hydrodynamic contact pressure is higher. To be suitable for use with hypoid gears, a lubricant must be capable of resisting high pressures.

Oils with "EP" ratings (Extreme Pressure) such as EP90 are required. Some brands describe themselves as "hypoid" instead, a term which is synonymous with EP. GL-5 is a formal API standard for this type of oil (comparable to MIL-L-2105B/C/D)

A manual transmission won't usually contain hypoid gears, so it doesn't need an EP oil. Rare exceptions are those transaxles where the crownwheel and gearbox share the same lubricant. Although an EP oil is more complex to manufacture, it has no disadvantages when used in instances where the EP attribute isn't strictly required. Manual steering boxes and other slow-moving oil-containing components are often filled with 90 weight oil. It's usual to buy EP90 because that's what the axle requires, then use the same oil for all other components.

There's little practical difference between 80 & 90 weights. I fill everything with EP80 and I've never had a problem.

There's an increasing trend amongst manufacturers to reduce the number of different lubricant types required. My own gearbox (5 speed Range Rover) runs on ATF, but 20W/50 engine oil or EP90 axle oil are equally permissible. i cut and pasted this article. This helps. The Hypoid gear is a type of machining process like they state below. The oil is a heavier duty oil that standard gear oil. Dave.

-- Andy Dingley snipped-for-privacy@codesmth.demon.co.uk

The >

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

Is 80/90 found at the local parts store permissable to use?

Reply to
Burnett

this was posted a while back, here's the link to goggle archives on the thread

David

that link doesn't work...............

279.00002199%40mb-m13.aol.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DI
Reply to
Burnett

Try this one...

279.00002199%40mb-m13.aol.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DI
Reply to
ph4tcharlie

Is 80/90 weight gear oil what I should be putting in my transmission ? It's all the local parts stores sell !! I hope someone has an answer soon before I just buy it and use it...

Thanks, Rick

279.00002199%40mb-m13.aol.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DI
Reply to
Burnett

I think I use 80-90 in my sandrail tranny... I'd have to go home and look at the bottle...

It might be 75-80 or so though... I don't quite remember. When I get off work, I'll check what I'm running.

279.00002199%40mb-m13.aol.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DI

SO-8859-1%26q%3Dgl-4%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Reply to
ph4tcharlie

Yeah, I'm using 80-90.... it seems just fine.

279.00002199%40mb-m13.aol.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DI
Reply to
ph4tcharlie

Just be sure to be nice to the tranny... its a VW tranny so its far from bulletproof... Be sure to put the clutch in if you take air, you don't wanna land with a load on the transmission. Plus if its a SANDrail to be used in the dunes... make sure you don't try to un-stick yourself by using reverse and rocking out... lift the front end and pivot it around.... it'll get you unstuck from 1/2 way up that razorback.

279.00002199%40mb-m13.aol.com&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DI

SO-8859-1%26q%3Dgl-4%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Reply to
ph4tcharlie

Sorry I don't know how to shorten links I just copy and past the first half and then the rest. Thanks Dave

Reply to
David