General availability of '61 ghia parts

I'm an old Bug dude ('60, '67), but may have the chance to get a '61 ghia convertable from a friend at work (for my son). Its going to need "some" work (top, paint, floor pans, rubber, etc). My question is what is the availability of parts for this car? The bug mags have lots for bugs, but I don't see much mention of ghia parts. Can I assume all the mechanical stuff is the same as a type 1? The car already has a 1600 motor and is converted to 12V, so I don't have to do that.

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

I've looked into it... just like Thing 181s... It's the body parts that are a bummer...

It's taken me tons longer to do a thing than a bug because of the mail order issue..

A smarter guy reminded me that bugs were spot welded together... and ghias were leaded/formed

Along the same as a 21/23 window deluxe bus... ... if you've got the cash, they can come up with the parts.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Reply to