Generator bearing 67 beetl 1500

My 67 has developed a noisy bearing sound,mostly noticeable on idle.It sounds like it's coming from the generator ( a high pitched,whirring sound) I was wondering if this is a replaceable bearing that would be readily availiable? I am planning a top end rebuild,new rings, valve job,etc. When I have the engine out I plan on taking care of this problem also. Anyone done this before? Fred

67 bug
Reply to
Vw67lives

The whirring may also be the brushes riding on the commutator. Hold the brushes up a bit and see if that affects the sound (might want to disconnect the gen first).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

12V generators use # 6202 bearings. Buy the ones with double seals. They are available from any bearing house.

To check them, use a long screwdriver, with the blunt end in your ear and the sharp end stuck in the 2 ends of the generator while the engine is running. That will let you pin down the source of the sound.

Keep the screwdriver and your hair away from the belt and pulley!

-

Jim Adney

What bearing could I use for an Altenator? (82L)

Reply to
DS3

Brush end is a 6201. Pulley end is a 6203.

-

Jim Adney

Jim, you are the bearing king!Thanks for answering my question on my generator bearing problem. I will be checking it out soon. Fred 67 bug

Reply to
Vw67lives