Generator fan interference

My friend replaced a generator (dog house) and then had a terrible howling, scream. esp. as the RPM's picked up. he claimed it made no such rubbing noise when hand spun during installation. Q is what can this be and the fix?

Reply to
mr.smartypants

Hasnt sucked something INTO the fan assembly?. Spinning by hand it wouldnt make a noise but at RPM would. The sound insulation on firewall? May be bearing noise but I,ve never heard one that loud. John

Reply to
John

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDJohn

Have your friend loosen the genertor strap and first look at the belt to make sure its in line with the crank pully, you can push or pull on the dog house to adjust this. move it a little ans then see if the fan is rubbing the dog house ...He might have to add a shim.

Reply to
Kafertoys

My only advice: listen to nothing kafertoys has to say. He believes bondo and financial thievery is the solution to every situation. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
bugnut68

I agree with bugnut. So i'll recommend it.

I have had one that would rub the fan on the shoud. It sounded as described. I'd check the fan.

:)

trey

My only advice: listen to nothing kafertoys has to say. He believes bondo and financial thievery is the solution to every situation. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Trey

O/P We took it apart and found some dents in the air shroud housing , some high spots were getting mighty shiny. the old pall peen hammer dispatched them. It's just fine, now. Thanks, for the suggestions.

Reply to
mr.smartypants