generator generating dust

Hi,

Yesterday, went in to put in rebuilt carb. Everything is all right started ok, shut er off to check for fuel leaks. As I turned of ignition heard a clunk. Went to the back found generator pulley very loose as in retaining nut is almost ready to come off. No problem, tighten it back up, started engine again after making sure that the carb is NOT leaking fuel like the last time. went beck to tune idle, etc and as I rev up I can see dust coming out of the generator.

At this point I figure I should at least pull the generator pulley. Took the nut off, key hole on the top part of the pulley looks more like bow. Got the back side off and as I pulled it off the generator a lot of dark grey dust came out from the generator. Here is the question part, what is that crap? belt pieces getting sucked into the generator? or something else wearing out in the generator? Also I am noticing that generator is kind of squaky in normal direction and clicks in the reverse. I am guessing clicking is ok.

Thanks, Anton

Reply to
anton

Dust coming from wearing down of carbon generator bushes? Did you maybe replace them recently?

I installed new carbon blocks fairly recently and now I notice a coating of black/grey dust on the genny pedestal and fuel pump; I was presuming it was coming from the genny bushes...

Reply to
Dangermouse

Could be the brushes, I gotta look throught the bottom slot to see how much they have worn out. This is fairly new generator and only has a few years of very light use on it. Just picked up new pulley and a belt, will see if it keeps happening. I was just surprised to see that much of dust dump out.

Thanks, Ant> > Got the back side off and as I pulled it off the generator a

Reply to
anton