Generator light flickering, turn signals won't work.

Hi guys. Just this morning, on the way to church, I noticed that my generator light started to flicker lightly. The fan belt is not slipping, I checked it to be sure. Then, by the time I was driving home, my turn signals wouldn't come on at all. My girlfriend went outside the car to check them. The emergency flashers work, but neither direction signal will work. Here's what happens. The indicator light in the speedo cluster comes on, and sorta flashes, but not really. It just goes bright-lessbright-bright-lessbright...etc. At the same time, the generator light does the same thing, but it's bright when the indicator is dim, and dim when the indicator is bright. However, nothing happens outside the car. Not a light flashes. A few days ago, I noticed sometimes my generator light would flash occasionaly when I turned on the turn signals, but then stop. I figured it was caused by high-resistance 30-year-old wiring. The generator light has flickered lightly since I bought the car when the headlights are on, and I use the turn signals. I also assumed this was high-resistance 30-year-old wiring. However, now the signals won't work at all, the generator light may flicker while driving with or without the signals on, but the headlights, brakelights, marker lights and tail lights all work. What gives?! Possibly the flasher relay? But why would the gen. light come on?

The car is a 73 std. beetle with an alternator. Thanks for any help! ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Bad contact at a fuse. Clean fuse holders and replace fuse(s).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim