Generator light flickers when headlights turned on 1972 Beetle type 1 AE

I have been getting a dim generator light when I turn on the headlights. I have replaced the brushes and regulator. The person that sold me the car told me the headlight switch is stuck on high beam, but you only get average light out of the headlights. Should I check the headlight wiring or replace the bad switch and would this help?

Daniel

Reply to
dan3mike

The dim light is caused by the dash wiring, not the gen/reg. Voltage drop between the Main battery lead to the dash and the fuse block is the culprit. Your problems with the headlight switch and wiring may be part of the cause.

The headlight switch itself doesn't control Low/Hi beam function; there is a relay plugged into the fuse block for that function. There is a simplified diagram on my web site:

by chance you are in UK, your wiring is a bit different.)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim