Generator light ghosts are back (Sorry if double posted)

Hi RAMVA!

A couple of weeks ago I had some problems with my gen light. It stayed on after starting and the belt was ok. With Jim's help I found the generator was not polarized, so, I did the procedure acording to Speedy Jim's site and everything worked just fine. The gen light went off the way it should be. But now my problems are back. This weekend, the GF and I went on a 200Kms trip to the east end of the island. On the way back (at about 100 Kms/H) the gen light suddenly went on. I stoped inmediately to check the belt and it was OK. So, it has the same symptoms as before. I got home and started thinking.

About 2 weeks before the first time with the problem I changed the dizzy (wrong rotation toyota installed by PO) to a new 009 I had laying around. The electronic dizzy had wires going to the + and - terminals on the coil and also a wire connected to the bolt on the generator body near the shroud. The 009 doesn't have this (obviously) so I just installed It the way it should be, set the points, timing and carb, and all was set. Now, I see it's been 2 more weeks since the first time with this problem, so maybe it's related. Checked the wiring diagram and noticed the bolt on the Generator body has a wire that goes to the Regulator body. I don't have this wire (the electronic dizzy had a wire there), can this be the cause of my problems? Should I run a wire from the gen to the regulator as the diagram says?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls

You can run a wire, but it probably won't make any difference. The regulator is grounded thru the mounting screws and the Gen is grounded thru the pedestal.

Still......

If the ground doesn't sort it, do the Generator voltage test in my Generator article.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I just checked the generator. Between 2 and 4 volts. Did the polarization procedure, it turned as it should, but after that, the voltage test still shows about 3 volts. Tried again, no luck. the generator light still on and the battery is not charging? what else can I do?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

get a new generator.

Jen

Reply to
jboothbee

If the brushes are good (I know you checked), there isn't any more you can do.

Replace it or, maybe, upgrade to Alternator.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'll go with the alternator option. Thanks for your help Jim.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

See the Conversion article on my web site.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Already did that. looks really easy. My old super had an alternator. I remember the + wire coming from it was really thick (10 or 8), both cables on my generator are thinner. should I change the wire to a heavier gauge?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

If you did the test and the polarization right, then there must be something wrong with the generator. In general, they are quite simple to fix, but they are a real pain to remove from a type 1 engine. You can check and replace the brushes in place, so that's where you should start.

More serious problems will require more money and effort.

-

Jim Adney