German Ernst muffler clamps and wire mesh donuts

[German Ernst muffler clamps and wire mesh donuts.] v have in my lap one Ernst bus muffler and installation kit. The donuts are formed out of steal wire. . . .never seen that. Do you usually have better results using a little muffler sealing putty around those? . . .or not? v Also, noted the gray paint is scratched off in a few places and seems a bit soft. Does it cure any more when it heats up? Would you expect reasonable rust protection from any of these options:: v 1. just put it on, it'll last 10 years and you won't have to miss another High Country Bus Festival over a broken pea shooter? 2. just touching up the bare metal spots? 3. spray over the pre-existing paint with plasti-kote high temp cast iron grey paint and hope it sticks? 4. strip new muffler to bare metal with a chemical stripper, clean, etch and brush on por 20 silver?

---end-- buttercup '71 Westy.

Reply to
Grape Daddy

Those steel mesh donuts seal pretty well, but I always use some muffler cement on the sealing surfaces. I hate to have to seal it twice. ;-)

Most mufflers rust from the inside out here in Chicago, but if you want to paint with some high temp exhaust paint.................go for it! JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I asked the same question here once. I was told to use Permatex hi heat rtv gasket maker/sealant. It is the orange stuff in a bronze tube. That is not the exact name for it but will help you find it. I tried it and it worked. It is also good for holes in the heater boxes.

No. I would not use plasti coat.

Hmmmmm. Sounds good. ...or try some kind of hi heat ceramic muffler paint.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe