Ghia External Mirror Question

Hello!

I'm the new proud owner of a beautiful 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible and have a question about external mirrors.

The driver and passenger side mirrors on my Ghia are different, both in finish and style. The driver side has a dull brushed metal finish while the passenger side is chrome. The backside of the driver side is flatter (thinner) while the passenger side is more rounded. The passenger side has a hole at the bottom to let moisture out while the driver side doesn't. The only thing the same is both mirrors have the same outer shape.

My question is, which is the original stock mirror? If the answer is "both", why are they different styles and finishes?

I'm thinking about replacing the driver side mirror to match the more attractive style and finish (IMHO) of the passenger side. However, I want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible.

All comments welcome.

Thanks, Han

Reply to
Han

We have a ghia cab. too. and I was thinking about those mirrors with directional lites built into the front. the front directionals on our '62 aren't that visible because we run lots of halogen lights , they kinda drown out the little "bullets" We don't care about stock, we want to be as safe as possible, in a SUV world. We added a third brake light to the engine lid too. Can't risk a rear-ender. good luck in your search. cabs came with right mirrors , while coupe didn't. I believe. "If I can not dance, I want no part in your revolution." Emma Goldman

Reply to
cyber

And my 1970 Ghia (family owned since new) has only a driver's side mirror.

I am absolutely 100% positive that it came from the factory this way.

Reply to
Patrick

I believe that passenger side mirrors (in the US) were dealer installed accessories for both Beetles and Ghias. Here's the page from the '71 accessory catalog that shows the mirror listed as an accessory:

-- Scott

"Patrick" wrote

Reply to
Scott H.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I talked with the folks at House of Ghia (stopped by in person) and got the lowdown on the mirrors.

It seems Volkswagen had more than one vendor for the mirrors and that accounts for the different styles and finishes. Both are genuine Volkswagen, but only a purist would know which one came original. The original style is on the driver side. This is the one with the dull finish and without the ventilation hole. It also has a distinct "bump" where the swing arm fits into the main mirror. The other style is more rounded on the back. I decided to go with the latter design because the rounder style and chrome finish compliments my car more. I'm going to keep the original in safe keeping though.

Reply to
Han