Good found today, and cheap, but now metalworking question.

Found a bay window transporter in the middle of nowhere (yes, South Africa seems full of them) Lady is using as chicken house, there´s shit all over the inside, but this is where the luck begins. Cheap, R500 (about $50 i think), is EXACTLY the same model as my transporter i currently drive, which has a partially smashed front end from a head on accident (not me, previous owner). So, bumpers fit, headlights, entire front is good, so is the back. Still has all 4 original wheels and hubcaps as well. Now the metalworking question. I would like to replace my smashed front end and one side panel and back panel with the panels that are good on this one. How are these held together on the seams? Is there a way to seperate panels and join so no bodyfiller is needed? As well (very strange), owner pulled engine and placed engine on top of the engine compartment, gearbox is gone. Very weird, either gearbox shot and could not get it fixed, or engine blown and gearbox sold. Engine complete, distributor and carb are on. Any advice on this, i´d like to make one very nice transporter from the 2.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

We will forever after the purchase refer to you as "the chicken shit guy". Think about it. :D

The mechanical parts are probably worth saving though. Not sure how corrosive chicken shit is, it might have done some damage to body metal.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

True, but front and back outside panels are unharmed, so are both bumpers. And that happens to be what i am looking for, plus headlights.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Yes, but can he ever get rid of the smell ???? ;-)

Susan

Reply to
Susan S.