Good news for NC and antique cars...

From that article: SECTION 10. G.S. 20-183.2 is amended by adding a new subsection to read: "(a1)Safety Inspection Exception. - Historic vehicles, as defined in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(17), shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article." SECTION 11. This act becomes effective January 1, 2005. In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 16th day of July, 2004.

and...... 20-79.4(b)(17) says:

(17) Historic Vehicle Owner. - Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture.... etc, etc.

Verified: I just talked to DMV enforcement (816-9197) and this law went into effect October 1st. You do NOT have to have antique tags to qualify for the safety inspection exemption.

Reply to
Shaggie

I met somebody in a parking lot one day in Raleigh with a '69 Bug and a '69 tag. He said there was a law that allows you to put any tag of the model year of your 35-year or older car in NC as long as you keep a current tag *inside* the car. Do you know anything about that? He showed me a printout, but I forgot the article/section/chapter/etc. It's probably in the same chapter you've cited.

I guess they figure if you care enough to keep your antique car driveable, then it must be safe enough???? I can't quite yet accept that my '71 bus is an "antique"!

Ted Bogart

Ted Bogart

Ted That is true about the tag. Wish they'd go the way of other states and let you register the old number.

Dave

From that article:> SECTION 10. G.S. 20-183.2 is amended by adding a new subsection to> read:

Good news. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Scott H

Like Dave said, it's true.

It's allowed by G.S. 20-63(d):

If you do run an old tag it's a good idea to keep a copy of that statute in your vehicle, like that first link above says. I work with a guy that drives either a '65 Dodge or a '67 Plymouth to work every day, both with YOM tags. He has been pulled over several times in each vehicle by police officers that were not aware of that statute.

Reply to
Scott H

I can't quite yet accept

Is that because it looks so good...lol

Ted long Time no see Hows the bus doing ? I still have the rubber for your bus but have failed to locate your corner trim.

Give me a call if you still need the rubber

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

336 212 2663
Reply to
Kafertoys

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:33:36 -0500, "Scott H" scribbled this interesting note:

Here in Texas there is a similar law. You can register to YOM plates. With a certain form of registration (good for five years) there is no need for an inspection sticker. A friend of mine, in his 1964 Chevy Truck, got a ticket from an uninformed officer. My friend went to court over it. The judge didn't believe this friend of mine when he told him about it and this judge couldn't find the statute in his books so this friend of mine offered to find it for him, having done his homework.

The judge, upon seeing the written words, saying exactly what my friend told him they said, couldn't argue, but he did say he didn't agree with it, but he had no choice but to override the ticket since no offense was committed.

I keep a copy of the particulars regarding this kind of registration in my glove box at all times. You never know when a particularly overzealous police officer might come along...

John Willis

Yeah. Thanks to you it looks new! My age is a factor, too, I guess. The oldies don't seem old any more. Neither do ACVWs. I'll drop by when I can.

Reply to
Ted Bogart

Ted, I believe that was me. Super Target in North Raleigh? The statute is NCGA 20-63(d) paragraph 2 .

The statute reads... "Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person."

- Chris

eldgrim