Good place to mount screw-on oil filter

Scheduled: mounting full-flow oil filter on the Wonderbus (71 transporter). Type 1 engine. I have the oil pump adapter thingie, the hoses, and the mount for the screw-on oil filter. Where are the good candidate places to mount a filter? Anyone got pix?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Are you adding an oiler cooler with thermostat too? The bus really benefits from more oil capacity and the cooler.

Reply to
Wolfgang

If yer gunna mount a screw-on filter, ya jes' gots ta sneak up onit fr'm b'hinds. Oh! Sorry... You want to know where to do it? Somewhere that nobody can see ya!

Reply to
Busahaulic

LOL!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I suspect the best mounting would be where you can screw the filter (is it the big Ford HP-1 one?) so that it is vertical. That way it will retain the oil when you stop as well as you can fill it when you do an oil change and not suffer from a dry start. How about on the left side of the engine bay - either outside behind the wheel up in the cavity (like below where the battery sits on the other side) - or inside the engine compart on the rear of the wheel wheel. If you mount it outside ass one of those finned aluminium filter covers and you'll get a little added cooling. Make sure you use grommets if the hose goes thru a hole in the sheet metal. It is also best to keep it close to the oil pump, and not much higher and avoid sharp bends. The rubber hoses with the push on fittings are not much good - stainless steel cover hoses with threaded connectors are far better.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I agree that more cooling would be helpful. On a warm day the oil in the sump can easily reach 230F (my personal high limit) after driving for more than a dozen miles on the freeway. So I throttle down to putt-putt speed and wish the engine had a smidge more cooling. But the whole subject of adding external oil cooling seems to open a can of worms. But maybe it will be simpler than I think, given where I am starting (with these parts)

&
and some hose. Some chunks of coat hanger wire, a can of beeswax, and a big rubber plug.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well, I am starting with the parts below (my earlier post) -- already got them.

That oil cooler kit that you referenced . . . I have heard many a tale of poorly-manufactured oil coolers -- anyone know if that's a good part? And, where's a good air stream to hang that thing in?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Reply to
jjs

Sorry, but it's a piece of crap.

Reply to
jjs

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"

Good luck on the Maxi pump.

Setrab fan pack. The best of the best. see

jjs

The thing I don't like about those CB's are that they don't really have clean flow through them. I think maybe the better option would maybe go with one of those "oil return" adapters and a "full flow" pump

Just put a bugpack remote on my baja, Heck I expected the worse, not a drop of oil or any other problem though. Used Russell AN fittings and a little teflon tape. Napa gold filter #1346.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

66' panel 71' westy 73' baja
Reply to
Mark Detro