Got my new toys - How to use them?

I jut got a nice timing light with tach/dwell and voltmeter. This is something I wanted long ago. While testing it, I discovered that no matter how perfect you are staticaly timing your engine, when you use the light, it shows that you were off by a couple (or more) of degrees. That's nice.

Now I'd like to set the dwell and adjust the carb (H30 pict-1) which is clearly pumping a rich mixture. What is the right procedure to do it? What's the dwell angle I'm looking for? What other uses do I have for this light?

Also, I got a compression tester, as soon as I got it, I checked the engine on the 1303. It was good (between 100 and 115 PSI). but, I wanted to see how does it look on a broken engine. so, I checked a friends 1302 which was running like crap and is no longer running. Cyls 1 and 2 are 100-110, but 3 is 0 PSI, yes ZERO. and 4 is just 75. What are we looking at? piston rings? heads? pistons? This engine is no longer be in use, So we can tear it apart and learn from it (where is my hacksaw?). I'll post pictures of it when we break it down.

Thanks for your knowledge. Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Correction: This engine WILL no longer be in use.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

clearly pumping a rich mixture. What is the right procedure to do it? What's the dwell angle I'm looking for?

Reply to
sracingspam

Dwell angle is the angle of the engine rotation that the points are closed before the points open for the spark to occur. VW spec for the dwell angle (Bentley manual) is 44-50 degrees. Only place to affect the dwell is the points in an ACVW. Points gap should be set to 0,4 mm. =20

You're looking at mis-adjusted valves, bad valves, bad rings, punctured piston, ..., something else that let's the pressure out of the cylinder.

Reply to
Olli Lammi