Hand Brake cable

Trying to replace cables on sons project car.68 bug. Could not get the cable threaded end out of the tube, its like the threaded part is too long to make the turn at the rear end of the tube, ended up pushing the cable back in and cutting off the threaded end at the handle, then pulled the cable out easily. Can't get the new one to go in the tube. there is no way that 3 inch long threaded piece will make that 90 degree turn into the tunnel. Obviously somebody got one in there at some point, probably in Germany, but I can't do it. I did run a "fish tape' up into the tube with no problems it has an eye hook on the end about half as long as the threaded part of the brake cable, same diameter more or less.

Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? any help will be appreciated...

Reply to
Cletus

The cable tubes have only a very gentle bend to them, no 90 deg turn at all. Something is not right here.

Not sure if this will help, but there are cutaway pics of the tunnel here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Seem to recall I did caused that accidentally about 30 years ago. I took the guide tube off to try and lubricate it but did not "sit" it back on to the body squarely on reassembly. (Another instance where the thought " if it aint broke........... occurred to me.) That reduced the "cross sectional area" of the tube so to speak where the body and guide tube met so threaded section of cable wouldn,t go through. Took it off again, made sure I lined up the guide tube so it sat squarely on the body and all was well. If I recall correctly there is a "nipple" the guide tube sits over. Speedy is spot on, there are no sharp bends even remotely approaching 90 deg. I,d be looking at where front of the guide tube "attaches " to the body. If you cant see it, and it is difficult , get some fencing wire, thread it through the guide tube and then put the fencing wire into the body tubing and assemble. ie assemble it with the fencing wire in place which will keep guide tube and body aligned and when reassembled withdraw fencing wire. Hope that works John

Reply to
John

B.gg...r, why didnt I see Hand Brake Cable and not Clutch?. sorry about that, chief.

Reply to
John

I agree with Jim here(as usual)... you may need to GENTLY straighten out the tube where it exits the pan, had to do that myself before...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I replaced my e-brake cables on my 1973 Beetle. This link may or may not help. I hope it does.

Reply to
Jim Ed
1963 green VW beetle I used to own, I wish now I had kept that car.One afternoon, I was down town and driving along, the clutch cable broke.Fotunately, I was only a few blocks away from the VW dealership.Somehow, I made it to the dealership shop and I had the clutch cable replaced with a new one.I also bought a another new clutch cable for a spare.I learned how to install my new clutch cable when the one the shop installed broke.

Nowadays though, I think there are hydraulic clutch and brake kits available to replace clutch and brake cables. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin