Hanging the oil bath air cleaner

In a day or so I will FINALLY be putting the new engine in my 71 bus. The PO had used dual carbs with tea bag filters, but I'm making this engine as stock as I can, with a new 34 PICT carb and really good condition oil bath cleaner. There is presently no hardware in the engine compartment to hang the cleaner from.

I have a two part question:

  1. What are the bits I need to get from the likes of bustedbus.com or other online guys to do a stock mount for the cleaner?

  1. What's a good temporary way to hang the cleaner while I'm getting those parts?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Look in your Bentley, Fuel section. Fig. 3-2. Far right side is the "shelf/bracket" for the air cleaner. IIRC it is welded to the body.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Um, so this shelf is a backwards C-shaped bit of metal that has a lower horizontal part welded to the body, a vertical part, and an upper horizontal part which sweeps over toward the engine, providing a shelf which supports the air cleaner. Looks like the PO had the upper part Sawzall'd off: no upper shelf, but a darn clean cut on the upper end of the vertical part. Okay, welding skills and a sheet metal shop I have not. This minor little detail looks like it will require some serious thinking. Does anyone have a better photo, or some idea of the dimensions of the shelf? How is the oil bath cleaner affixed to it?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...my reccomedations would be to buy the piece cut out from a bus...make sure they cut it a little over sized. Trimn it to fit well, and take the bus to a local welder....hell if you post here and on shop talk forumns there is bound to be *someone* close to youi wirth a welder. If you do all the per work and present a well feitted piece ready to weld it should not be too costly to have it welded...and then you would have a proper repair that won't give you trouble larter down the road. The air cleaner uses clips at attach to the pedestal.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Hmmm . . . clips, clips. Making a shelf I can do, though it will be out of wood and angle brackets, but those clips . . .

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Hey mike I'd have to check my 68 parts bus but I think it has the shelf set up and all.

if so just make me a resonable offer and your address for shipping cost and we can go from there.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Jim, is that the same shelf as is used in the type-1 Ghia?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

May be similar, although I think the mounting to the body is different. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
ilambert