Happy MLK Jr. Day

I just wanted to wish everybody a happy MLK Jr. Day. If you are off from work or school, enjoy your day. I'll be building my new work bench in my garage today. It's pretty cold here in southern Maryland so I'll be running inside from time to time to warm up! Just a side note, correct me if I'm wrong, was it Arizona that doesn't/didn't recognize this day as a holiday? Dan

Reply to
EuroBug

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:47:08 -0500, "EuroBug" ran around screaming and yelling:

i am off from work, but is wasn't scheduled....old knee injury forces me to sit home today... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

What the heck is MLK Jr. Day ??

Ant

EuroBug wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Arizona didn't recognize MLK day up until a few years ago. We've always been sort of rebels here, and didn't feel that it was proper to combine George Washington's and Abraham Lincoln's Birthday into a generic "President's Day", and doing away with Columbus Day, while having a single Holiday for one individual. Although King was a fighter for civil rights, that (and the fact that he was shot) shouldn't give him the honor of being the only American with a Holiday named after him.

Arizona was finally blackmailed into a MLK Day, when the NFL was going to deny Phoenix a Super Bowl site, based solely on the lack of that particular Holiday.

There so much racial BS going on in this country today that it makes me wonder if King himself would approve of those kinds of tactics, since his main "dream" was a color blind society.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Martin Luther King Jr. Too much to tell here. Do a search on the net if you'd like to learn more about him. Dan

Reply to
EuroBug