Hard Hot Start

My twin carbed auto T3 starts easily cold, idles well, not too big a flat spot (considering 009) . After a reasonably long run though ( ~>20 minutes) it will crank over and over and may start as I release key and maybe start next time. Both chokes are fully off. Reasonable fuel economy. Fuel evaporation in carbies ??????? Any ideas?. I,m going to have to replace oils seal on torque converter as shes a bit like a dog, leaves a little puddle after a long run. Any special issues to keep an eye out for?. Cheers John

Reply to
John

The symptoms are very similar to overheating engines. Might want to look into that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Quote: "may start as I release key..."

That may be the clue. Often, a failing ignition switch will act like that after heating up.

See if the OIL/GEN lights are lit during cranking (Oil might go out after cranking long enough to raise pressure). If both are out, the Coil is not getting power.

Run a temp jumper wire to Coil (+) from battery as a quick test.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
John

That relay is probably for the starter. The failure I'm envisioning is in the Coil side of the Ignition switch, not the starter.

Do the jumper test to the Coil.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim