Hard Start Relay Reloaded

I have seen countless notes on the hard start relay. My understanding is that the wires get old and become more corroded and hence more resistive. More resistance leads to larger voltage drops across the wire and consequently less current. Couple this with the fact that the starter solenoid heat up with use and requires just a little more power.

What I have not been able to determine, is just how much resistance in the wiring is too much. Can someone please quantify this value. In this way, one can determine if this is the actual problem or if something else is occurring.

Reply to
Anthony Lopez

Hi.In the 60's the hard start relay was a very popular item.Even when the cars were only a few years old,6volts were still only 6 volts and cold weather made every cold start a "hard start".Buses were worse than bugs so I'm thinking lenght of wiring and resulting resistence was a factor.The relay shortened the paths and made more power(amps?)available to the starter.Interesting that later ,when I was selling parts at FLAPS, the relay cross checked to a Ford part #,6V or 12v.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

On 6V cars especially, you can greatly increase the odds of the engine firing by using a 2-pole relay instead of a single-pole. The first pole boosts the starter solenoid and the second pole boosts the Coil voltage right off the battery, instead of back and forth thru the ignition switch.

Under winter hard-cranking conditions, I have actually measured around 2 Volts (!) at the Coil on a 6V car. The relay may boost that up to 4V, giving the engine at least a fighting chance.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim