Hard to start

First time ever posting. I have two 69's and a 73 in the back yard. I plan on fixing them up, one for each daughter, 16,13 and 7. I have one 69 running and on the road. Problem is in the morning I have to crank it for at least 10 seconds and pump the heck out of the gas peddle to get it to start. It stumbles and sputters then as long as I keep the starter engaged a little longer it fires and starts. After I get to work it restarts just fine. I am also having a problem with it hesitating when I step on the gas. This happens in every gear. Like not enough fuel it getting to it. In the back yard I start it and let it idle then quickly push the throttle lever down and it has a major stumble and almost stalls before reving. When I drive it I just slowely bring the revs up before letting out on the clutch a little slow. I can drive all day like this but the people behind me probably dont appreciate the slow pick up speeds. It will haul butt down the road at 60 plus. After the slow advance in speed I can hold the gas peddle down to the floor and it doesnt stall or stumble it just gradually pics up speed like normal. Thanks for any help in advance. Doug

Reply to
Turbo

Never in my life have I heard of such problems with the ACVW. Bad luck. Call the scrap metal dealer.

Reply to
jjs

Hard start can be due to minor flooding. Don't pump pedal, just hold it to the floor. Can also be due to poor ignition, or dampness overnight.

Hesitation is often caused by distributor advance problems. Do you know what distrib is on there? Another possibility is the accel pump in carb not working.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
peter gregar

Reply to
Turbo

Reply to
Turbo

As long as you have it torn down... throw a $14 rebuild kit into it... only takes about 10 minutes.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead