head repair

Son has an otherwise good head that has an exhaust stud completely pulled out of the head. Can this be drilled and heli-coiled? If so, what is a good source of drill/tap/helicoils? He is in So. Cal. Orange county

thx, AZ-BMW-VW(John)

Reply to
john fro AZ

Time serts are much better than heli-coils.

Karl

Are threads on the head striped? I can't imagine pulled out stud without head being cracked. If it's still good can just install new stud. Last time I had something like that happened stud just broke at the base. Getting it out and having head rewelded was pretty much the cost of a new head.

Helis and taps can be found in kragen. Used their taps but not helis. seem to work fine on aluminum. They are powerbuilt brand. Can also try sears, they would definatly carry taps

Good luck, Anton

Karl wrote:

Reply to
anton

The short answer is yes, the hole can be re-tapped to accept a thread insert and a new stud. When I had to do this job I purchased the tap/inserts/install tool along with cutting fluid(brute force) at copper state nut and bolt

It took me two inserts to repair the threads, with the first insert being threaded slightly past the end of the hole in the head casting. Any good local hardware store should have what you need.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Yes you can. But consider the cost of a new remanufactured head. How many miles on your son's head? For roughly $100 you can get a fresh head. No carbon build up, no loose valve guides, fresh valve job, etc. He's in So Cal. Call So Cal Imports, BlimpVW, or some of the other guys in the VW magazines. If you want to get away cheaper than that, bring the head to one of the shops and have them professionally repair it for you. At least you'd have some sort of warranty on the work.

Scott Faivre

64 Convertible 66 Sedan
International VW community)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: