Header AND Heaters

I want exhaust headers and still want my heater. Anyone got some good ideas so I don't have to go back to my old exhaust system to get heat. I was starting to think I might install a remote oil cooler and force air through that? I just don't want pressurized hot oil in the cabin!

If anyone has good idea or can point to a good webpage, I'd be a happy.. and warm... man!

Thanks Derek

Reply to
Derek Palmer

I am in the same predicament. Luckily I will not need the heat for many months, being in the southeast.

I have not tested this, but my thoughts were along the same line as you forced air heater. I am installing a remote oil cooler in my '68 ghia on the driver side of the tranny. My thought is to develop a ducting to split the heated air off the back side of the cooler with a cable controlled lever (using the exsiting cable rig) to enable or disable the heat for the cabin. The heat duct would connect to the original ducting under the rear seat. this will also heat my defrost available. One additional enhancement would be to include a blower inline with the duct work to the cabin. The blower could be connected to the cable control or a simple power switch under the dash, should be all that is needed.

My 2 cents!

Trevor

Reply to
tbatts

You can run headers and still have heat. I put new heater boxes on my '66 beetle which had headers. I had to cut the lower connection off and weld on a flange, as the new heater boxes had flanges (new boxes came with an extra flange to weld onto the headers) instead of the do-nuts and clamps...

maybe this will help...

the only thing is that you have to check the fresh air hoses often as they tend to get hot where they are near the upper exhaust tube and the dry out and crack open which is not good for the cooling of the engine.

I live in the south where we dont need heat for that long, but it worked very good. as with any beetle you have to make sure the whole system is in good shape and all components are in place for it to work well.

dragenwagen

Type I

1969 Type I (Totaled and towed away thanks to that damn hurricane) "Old VW's don't leak oil, they mark their territory."

Reply to
dragenwagen

I just bought one of the 2 tailpipe (yellow ends) extractor style (EMPI type) and installed it on my '71 DP beetle. I had the original heat exchangers still on and the new system had the donut style lower connection and the flange style on the upper ones. To get more heat, I removed the little sheet metal heater boxes from the stock system and installed them around the upper pipes of the new system. The little boxes are only crimped together so the came off easily. It took a bit of metal trimming and bending, but I got them to fit back on. Then I used the same type of flex hose that comes off the fan shroud and connected to two ends. I did have to cut the tube up the side and slide it around the connections. Now it works just like the stock system except that it sounds better.

Fweem.

Dave T.

Reply to
Dave Tosi

Won't work at temps lower than around

Reply to
unowho

Get a simple propane catalyctic(sp?) heater and put it on the floor. Cheap, and it works.

Reply to
unowho

DANGER! DANGER! Then hope you have rust holes or drive with windows partially open or you face carbon monoxide poisioning! Plus you must securelly fasten it. I would not recommend at all!

Reply to
Wolfgang

WRONG, WRONG! Catalytic heaters are 'flameless' (no big open flame) and don't produce significant monoxide. They eat up oxygen, like any burning element, therefore CO can build up. Just crack open a window and that's a non-problem. Doing that will also let damp air escape.

They use them in tents, ice-houses, RVs, everywhere.

Read up.

Reply to
unowho

No open flame but the "grille" is glowing red hot so if it touches something puff (have down vest with melted nylon and burnt goose feathers to prove it (used in a VW bus on ski trips). And yes the did windows sweat lots on the inside. Most RVs have safe gas furnace vented to outside (mine has one by Suburban).

Reply to
Wolfgang

So don't do that, stupid. You are looking for a way out of your erred post. Get over it.

What the hell is a Suburban?

Reply to
unowho

I've actually used these in a camper but my problem is I need the vents to work because I live in the California coastal mountains and we get AM fog. I really need to be able to run my defroster. One breath and the window goes opaque. I keep a towel handy which works. I love low tech! I never gets cold enough here to have to have a heater. I just need warm try air to vent on my windshield! ;-)

If I ever move back to my hometown of Stroud, Ontario, Canada I'll worry about a complete heating system!!

Derek

Reply to
Derek Palmer

Here on the Upper Mississippi we get FM fog.

Reply to
ToDo

I get DAB fog, lately.

Reply to