headlights

Hi group,

Today I bought myself a a headlight unit for my '73. Dunno if anyone ever seen them before but it is the BMW look-a-like with a luminated circle around it and a clear lens. The bulb that goes in is the common H4. It actually is a headlight unit for the golf (rabbit) but I'm told they'll fit... NOT.

It's not a sealed Headlight, the chrome ring (from the old one) has 3 holes in them; one to fasten it and two to adjust the beam. The (new w/o chrome ring) headlight unit also has two adjustment screws at the same place as the chrome ring. I do know that rabbit lights fit a bug, the question is how? Anyone delt with this problem?

A google search didn't do the trick, does any of you have an idea?

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

"bug '59" schreef in bericht news:450d87d6$0$2023$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

No one ever installed Rabbit headlights in a Bug?? Please help me out, I'm afraid I bought them for no reason... :(

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

"bug '59" schreef in bericht news:450d87d6$0$2023$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

Update on headlights;

I finally found a way to install the Rabbit headlights, As it seems those headlights are the same as a super. There are mounting brackets on the inside of the fender to screw the headlights on. On mine (standard, '73)the brackets were bent away, on a standard the headlights are mounted IN the chrome ring with clips and then the chrome ring is atached, like every other bug, with a bottom screw.

In the end; I haven't fitted them because the diameter of the Rabbit headlights are smaller (?) than the ones on a super. The next issue is to return the headlights and get my 129,- EURO back :(

Thanks, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

very odd for the "upright" headlights....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" schreef in bericht news:q2zRg.365$XX2.152@dukeread04...

Is it? I'm just repeating what I'm told, and what I saw. If they are lying, so am I ;) I've seen the super (1303) with headlights screwed onto the fender with 3 screws. The adjustment screws are Under the chrome ring. I have the headlights stock with the lense clamped onto the chrome ring and the adjustment screws sitting in the chrome ring.

I was wondering why nobody wasn't responding to my OP, but now understand (I think) I found this link to see the difference:

US is a sealed beam stock right? (right picture) EU is the beam I discribed before. (left picture) The right picture is a rabbit mounting in the EU. Do you have Rabbit light in yours?

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

yes....our (US spec) 67 and up beetles had the sealed beam that mounted into a holder that is mounted into the headlight bucket....like the picture on the right......our pre 67's had a sealed beam that was secured into a unit that was then screwed into the headligh tbucket(had a separate glass lens).... like this:

Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" schreef in bericht news:hF_Rg.440$XX2.37@dukeread04...

That one is known here too. When I was 'restoring' my '59 in 2000 those headlights were also an option. BUT since it was not original I kept the euro headlights and mounted an indicator on my front bumper (also not original) :-) Silly differences for *safety* reasons

Roger

Reply to
bug '59